Travelling with a bike
Bikes and travel go hand in hand, whether you’re cycle commuting for part of your journey or heading further afield for an active weekend away. Taking bikes on trains has never been easier, with bike reservations making it a breeze. It’s free to make a reservation, and you’ll have a stress-free journey without worrying about how to get your bike to your destination and back.
How To Book a Bike Reservation
The easiest way to book your bike reservation - and the best way of guaranteeing your space - is to do so when you book your train ticket. When you’re booking your ticket, either on the website or app, you can choose to reserve a bike space under ‘travel extras’. If you need to print your bike reservation, you’ll need to visit the ticket office before you board your train.
You are able to add a bike reservation if you’ve booked through our website or app. Simply log-in, select the booking you want to add a bike reservation to and click ‘Manage booking’ then select ‘edit travel extras’ and add your bike reservation.
Alternatively, if you’ve already booked a ticket, you can give us a call on 0345 528 0253 - select option 5 to speak to our team who can add a reservation to your ticket. You may also be able to book a space for your bike when you arrive at the station, but they’re very limited so we can’t guarantee a space at short notice.
Please be aware:
Ensure you have an easy, stress-free journey with these tips:
- To travel with a bike, you will need to be on the platform and ready to board at least 10 minutes before the train departs, as a team member will need to provide access to the secure bike storage area.
- Your bike reservation will be printed with your tickets when you collect them via a Ticket Vending Machines or at the Ticket office.
- A collection code is provided in your booking confirmation email or can be found within “My bookings” on the website or “My Tickets” on the app.
- You will need to allow plenty of time to collect your tickets and bike reservation from the station, especially during busy periods when queues are expected. Although be aware that tickets and bike reservations can be collected in advance from any of our stations.
- Your printed bike reservation will need to be shown to our team members to gain access to the train to board your bike, it will also be required to retrieve your bike on reaching your destination. It’s always helpful to inform the train manager or a team member when you plan to disembark the train, as they will help you gain access to the secure bike storage area.
- Typically, the cycle carriage is in Coach A. Our trains have a dedicated cycle carriage, so please ask a team member so they can help you board the train in the right place. Please see our train layouts here.
- If you have a seat reservation, be mindful of where it is in comparison to where your bike will be stowed. When booking we would advice to use our seat picker functionality to reserve a seat in Coach A (if travelling in Standard Class) to easily retrieve your bike on arriving at your destination.
- If your chosen train is cancelled, you will need to visit the ticket office to re-book a bike reservation for the next available service. The bike storge area has a limited capacity and for health and safety reasons non foldable bikes can’t be stored in the carriages or vestibules.
- If you a travelling with a child’s bike (children aged 5 and below) you will NOT require a bike reservation.
- Please take all bags, backpacks and panniers with you as these can’t be left in the bike storage area.
- You won’t be able to wait in the cycle area during your journey.
Cycles we do not accept on Avanti West Coast trains:
- Unaccompanied cycles
- Electric scooters (e-scooters)
For safety’s sake, cycles that are not placed in designated areas of the train and obstruct doors or aisles will be removed.
Please note - we may not be able to carry your cycle if there is no space on board as it may inconvenience other customers or delay the train.
Storing your bike at the train station
Are you a regular cycle commuter, or need to leave your bike at the station when you travel? You can sign up to use our Bike Hubs at Rugby, Coventry, Birmingham International and Preston stations. They’re fully enclosed secure spaces with 24-hour key fob access and have CCTV monitoring for added security. There are 200 spaces at each station, and some even offer bike hire and maintenance to make it even easier to get around on two wheels.
It’s just £5 to join our Bike Hubs. Simply let us know your name, email address and show some ID and we’ll provide you with a Bike Hub fob so you can start storing your bike in the station straight away.