Popular attractions and events to visit by Train
Explore North Wales, Scotland, London, Birmingham and the Lake District with Avanti West Coast. From a day spent by the ocean to time spent exploring art galleries, museums and historic architecture, there is so much to see by train.
We’ve put together a selection of the best day trips in the UK. Take a look below at our top picks of family, friends and solo day trips:
At Avanti West Coast we’re passionate about making every journey memorable. Book in advance to secure yourself a comfy seat and visit the onboard shop to get refreshments during your journey. If you upgrade to First Class there is even more to look forward to when travelling by train all for less than you might think.
We love our West Coast Main Line and we know there are some really amazing places to explore along our routes (and even further afar). Have a look at our destination pages for more travel ideas.
Save on your Train Ticket
Once you’ve decided on a destination, our money saving tips can help you find Avanti West Coast train tickets at the cheapest price. Take a look at some of our ways to save ideas:
- Book early: the sooner you book your ticket, the cheaper it’ll be, so when you decide to go, buy an Advance Ticket.
- Travel off-peak: the trains around rush hour in the morning and afternoon are peak hour trains, so if possible, aim for a train that arrives between mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
- Use this website or the app: when you book through a third-party website you’ll maybe have to pay more and even have to pay booking fees. We never charge you booking fees and that’s just one of the benefits of the Avanti app.
- Buy a Railcard: if you use the train frequently, or if you are planning just a few big journeys within a year, you will probably save money by getting a Railcard. Depending on your circumstances, it could save you a third or even half off your off-peak travel, all for a small fee.
- Get a Family Ticket: by booking your family’s travel altogether on one ticket, not only will you be able to sit together, but you’ll also save money. It’s available for groups of 2–5, where one or two of the group are adults: Find out more about Family Tickets.
Want more Inspiration?
As our Pendolino trains fly up and down the West Coast of the UK at 125mph, we love to hear about our customers visiting places all across England, Scotland and North Wales. We zip up and down the country dozens of times a day, we’re taking people to all sorts of places for business, entertainment or family events. If you’re still looking for inspiration as you tour England, Scotland and North Wales, keep an eye on our blog.