All About Wigan
Wigan sits right in the heart of England’s North West, surrounded by towns synonymous with the industrial golden age: Warrington, St Helens, Bolton and Chorley, with Manchester and Liverpool just over the horizon. Wigan’s particular trades were pottery, clock making, mills and coal mining, and they in turn led to the canals coming, and eventually the railway. Most of that industry is gone now, but there’s still a huge Heinz food factory, and the bookmaker Tote has its headquarters here, among other thriving industries. There’s still a busy shopping area for the locals, too, and the town is well known for its nightlife.
The town is famed around the world for three things: pies (everyone here loves them); Wigan Warriors (easily England’s most successful rugby league club); and George Orwell's 1937 book The Road to Wigan Pier, which documented the lifestyles of the workers of this and other Northern towns. The West Coast Mainline runs straight through the middle of the town on the Bolton and Warrington branch, making it a perfect place to live for commuters to either town, plus Liverpool and Manchester.
Not content with being the birthplace of Northern Soul and legendary all nighters, Wigan is also notorious for it’s Boxing Day fancy dress night where thousands of revellers take over the bars and streets.
It also has rich sporting heritage as home to one of the world’s greatest ever Rugby League teams (Wigan Warriors), who celebrate their 150th anniversary this year, and 2013 FA Cup winners, Wigan Athletic. Both play at the 25,000 capacity DW Stadium.
Why visit Wigan
It’s quite possible you’re visiting Wigan to watch a rugby match, in which case the DW Stadium is about 20 minutes’ walk, or 5 minutes’ taxi, from the station – have a read of the club’s game day experience for more details on where you need to go for a memorable day pitch side. One thing is guaranteed – there’s going to be an unbelievable atmosphere in this rugby-obsessed town.
Just to the north east of the town, the houses give way to miles of rolling countryside, and the delightful Haigh Woodland Park. It’s a fine place to wander around, whether you’re alone or with friends and family, but if you fancy doing something fun, you can try out the high ropes, mini golf or perhaps a round of the full size golf course if you’ve got time on your hands.
A taste of Wigan’s cultural heritage is never far away, either. You can visit the Museum of Wigan Life, or be awe-struck by the Trencherfield Mill Steam Engine, a century-old powerhouse that is as thrilling as it is fascinating, especially when it’s fired up and going. At some point, you’ll have to try a pie, so drop into a pie shop, baker or chippy to have your fill. You won’t regret it.
Once you've had enough of pies, you can visit the local market town Ormskirk (just over 15 miles away) which has three Michelin star restaurants. Why not plan a trip out to Moor Hall - which has two Michelin stars - or its sister restaurant, the Barn - which was awarded its first Michelin star in 2022.
All we'd say is book your spot early to avoid disappointment.
And for dessert? It has to be a piece of Ormskirk's famous gingerbread.
What’s On in Wigan
There’s plenty on in Wigan this year:
Wigan North Western Station Information
Do you need info on Wigan North Western Station’s toilets, WiFi, parking, accessibility or anything else? Click here:
Wigan North Western Station Information
You’ll find all the facts you need about the station. See you there soon!
Terms and Conditions for Wigan Warriors Giveaway
1. This promotion is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over except employees of First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited and their families, affiliated companies, suppliers, agents and anyone professionally associated with the promotion
2. To enter, you must reply to the post with the hashtag #WiganWarriorsTickets on the competition entry post on Twitter. You must also be following Avanti West Coast on Twitter.
3. Only one entry is permitted per individual per prize draw period.
4. Winners will be contacted via DM on Twitter (all efforts will be made to contact winner provided their DMs are open and not private).
5. The prize is for First Class tickets for return travel between any two destinations on the Avanti West Coast route, for two people, plus a pair of tickets to a Wigan Warriors Rugby Match at the DW Stadium, Wigan.
6. There are no cash or other alternative prizes.
7. First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited and its affiliates cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or damage howsoever caused as a consequence of participation in this competition.
8. First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited endeavours to ensure that the information on the site is accurate but makes no representations or warranties as to accuracy and accepts no liability for the same.
9. If it becomes apparent that a participant is using a computer(s) to circumvent any condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’ or any other automated means, that person’s entries will be disqualified and any prize award will be void.
11. First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited reserves the right to revise the terms and conditions, information materials and notices on this site from time to time or to temporarily or permanently discontinue the site or any part of it from time to time without prior notice should circumstances make this unavoidable. You should review the terms and conditions each time you visit this site.
12. First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited does not control all sites linked to the site and shall have no liability for the same.
13. To receive the names and counties of the winners please send a stamped addressed envelope to: Survey Competition, Insights Team, First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited, North Wing Offices, London Euston Station, London, NW1 2HS.
14. Judge’s decision is final.
15. The competition will run from 04/03/2022 at 11am to 18/03/2022 at 11am. Winners will be contacted by 25/03/2022. If the winner does not respond within 5 days, the next random entry will be selected.
16. Promoter: First Trenitalia Avanti West Coast Rail Limited: 4th Floor Capital House, 25 Chapel Street, London, NW1 5DH