Last updated: 27/03/2020
Essential travel only
As you’re no doubt already aware, it’s vital that you only travel with us if your journey is absolutely essential.
We’re here to keep those moving who need it most, and adjusted the way we travel to ensure the safety of our colleagues and key workers requiring essential transport. We urge all our customers to follow government guidance and determine if your journey is considered essential.
If this is the case then please allow more time for travel, ensure you take measures to manage good hygiene, and where possible help our colleagues by sticking to the two-metre social distancing rule. We’ll still be conducting ticket inspections, though we’ve informed our teams not to handle any tickets or devices.
We really appreciate your patience and support for our colleagues and one another to ensure the safety of everyone onboard and at stations
In line with government advice about COVID-19, we’re reducing the number of our services. These urgent measures are temporary, though there may be further alterations before we return to a full timetable.
Please use the link below to view our reduced timetable:
Download Saturday 28 March Timetable
Download Sunday 29 March Timetable
Download Monday to Friday from 30 March Timetable
Download Monday to Friday from 23 March Timetable
All refunds and amendments are processed at the point of purchase. If you got your ticket through another retailer, you’ll need to get in touch with them directly for advice on changes and refunds.
Fee-free refunds and amendments are available on tickets bought before 7am on 23 March 2020 for journeys on or after this date. This applies to all Advance, Off-Peak and Anytime tickets purchased direct at www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk, our app, as well as from our colleagues at stations and onboard.
If you’d like to apply for a refund, please read the following advice to understand which process applies for you.
"I purchased my ticket at avantiwestcoast.co.uk or on the app."
If you have an Anytime or Off-Peak ticket, and you have an account with us, the fastest way to amend your journey, or claim a refund, is by using My Account:
Refund Off-Peak or Anytime ticket
If you purchased an Advance ticket, don’t have an account with us, or experience any other issues using My Account, then please complete the following web form. Make sure you include your booking reference as these claims are processed manually.
Refund an Advance ticket
Amendments and refunds should, where possible, be made via the My Account section of our website. Admin fees for the above ticket types have been waived, but any price increase for alterations will need to be paid. For cheaper tickets, we would advise to claim a refund as the difference will not be refunded.
“I bought my ticket at a station or onboard."
You’ll need to go back to one of our stations to change your journey or get a refund. As a result of social distancing, all customers who have purchased through these channels will be able to claim a refund within 28 days of your scheduled journey.
If you’re currently self-isolating and so unable to reach one of our stations, we will accept applications for a refund made on your behalf.
Please use the link below to see a list of all our stations:
Avanti West Coast station
“I have a Season ticket.”
All Season ticket holders can also claim a refund for time unused on their tickets from 23 March 2020.
For Season ticket refunds, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any unused time from 23rd March onwards will be refunded. Please note an admin fee applies to refunds and changes to Season tickets.
We are currently experiencing a very high volume of refund request for Advance tickets and Season tickets and they may take up to 28 days to be processed. Due to measures taken in order to minimise the spread of COVID-19, our call centre is currently closed.
Taking extra measures
We want to do everything possible to ensure the safety of our colleagues, customers and communities, whilst maintaining a service for those such as key workers who require essential travel.
We’ve taken extra measures and enhanced our cleaning procedures onboard and at stations. We’re also staying up to date with the latest advice and developments to implement new steps which minimise risk.
As a result, from Monday 23 March we’ll no longer be accepting cash onboard our trains or at our stations.
Learn more about the extra measures we’re taking below.
We’re really sorry if these changes have impacted your travel plans. If you’d still like to travel, your ticket will be accepted on the train either side of your scheduled departure time. If you would like to make changes to your journey please check below where we've listed all the information you need. Please be aware that due to alterations to our services, current seat reservations will not be valid during this period.
Keeping our colleagues and customers safe
To improve your safety, we’re:
- Encouraging good hand hygiene among our staff in line with the advice from Public Health England.
- Where possible, promoting two metre social distancing guidelines.
- Enhancing cleaning routines onboard our trains and at stations with a focus on: door buttons, grab handles, tables and all touch points.
- Regularly wiping clean all equipment such as phones, chip and pin machines, self-service ticket machines and point of sale systems.
- Putting more sanitising products onto our trains for our staff to use on all hard surfaces.
- Requesting customers to hold their ticket or device up for inspection rather than handling.
- Closing our First Class Lounges until further notice.
- Suspending our First Class at-seat service until further notice. If you’re travelling First Class on a Pendolino service and require refreshments, you’ll be entitled to complimentary snacks from our onboard shop. You’ll just need to present our colleagues with your ticket.
- Markers are in place at our shops to adhere with social distancing guidelines.
- Unfortunately, shops onboard Voyager services have been closed. Because of this, there are no food and drink options available onboard.
We hope you’ll also play your part when travelling with us. All customers are asked to follow these guidelines whilst travelling:
- Stay up to date with the latest coronavirus information by using the NHS or Department of Health and Social Care websites.
- Only travel if your journey is essential.
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitiser whenever soap and water are unavailable.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and then place the tissue into the bin straight away.
- Understand that we’re not accepting re-usable coffee cups in our onboard shop at this time.
- If you, or a member of your household, have any symptoms then please follow government guidance and do not travel.
- Where possible, please follow the two metre social distancing guidelines.
Is it safe to travel on a train?
The current Government and NHS guidelines suggest that you should continue to use public transport for essential travel only.
Can I use a train if I am showing cold or flu-like symptoms?
If you are suffering cold or flu-like symptoms, you should now be self-isolating for 14 days according to government guidelines. You should follow NHS advice to reduce the risk of catching coronavirus or spreading it to others.
Can I use a train if I have been asked to self-isolate?
No. If you have been asked by 111 or a medical professional to self-isolate; or if you are have showing cold or flu-like symptoms then you should avoid public places and contact with other people for at least 14 days. The NHS has more information about how to self-isolate.
Can I use a train if I have coronavirus?
No. If you have been diagnosed with coronavirus or are showing symptoms, you should follow the advice from the NHS.
Thank you for your continued support.